Watsonville Plaza

358 Main St

Watsonville, CA

SITE HISTORY

Watsonville Plaza is considered the heart of the city where generations have gathered and fostered community connections all within the small 1.4 acre park. Located in the center of downtown Watsonville, Watsonville Plaza was originally established in 1860 through a donation by Sebastian Rodriguez and formed part of the Bolsa Del Pajaro land grant. The plaza was formally designed in the 1870s, with the addition of diagonal pathways and landscaping within the square and included many large homes surrounding the site. In 1906, architect William Weeks contributed the design of the stone bandstand located at the plaza's center. It included mature trees, ornamental plantings, benches, and two cannons. Despite numerous changes over the years, the plaza continues to serve as an important communal space hosting Fourth of July celebrations, Christmas events, political rallies, farmers markets and more. Today, Watsonville Plaza is undergoing a $6 million revitalization project including restoration of the historic 1906 bandstand among other improvements. The plaza is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is on the City of Watsonville Historic Register.

HISTORIC STATUS

‍National Register of Historic Places

https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/a794da03-4521-4bb2-89d1-bd733bf17432

Previous
Previous

Alba School

Next
Next

Seabright Cannery